Letting Your Holiday Property

Renting Out Holiday Homes And Legislation 

If you move into the Holiday Property sector then you may wish to consider certain legislation, often in place to protect the person’s letting. Your property may well be inland, by the seaside, but whatever Holiday Property you have you will have to follow legislation and if you ignore you at your risk! 

Contents Advice For Renting

Your Furniture at the property

Your Holiday Property Electricity 

Fire Safety Regs

Disability Access To Property

Holiday Property Insurance 

live in holiday property all year round?

Here is basic but up to date list

1.Your Furniture at the property 

Check on your furniture, and this is the current law, all pillows, beds, or sofa beds must comply with furnishings and furniture regulations.

2.Your Holiday Property Electricity 

In basic terms – all Holiday Property electrical systems should comply with regulations and are well maintained so that any bodies/persons are not put into danger. Portable appliances should also be in working order on the premises at all times.

3.Fire Safety Regs

All properties must comply with the up to date regulations for England and Wales, Scotland fire-safe act, which has been in effect as of 2006, as a Holiday Property owner it’s your obligation to check any fire risks and carry out regular assessments, and also keep a record.

As a holiday property owner, it’s your 100% responsibility to recognize and reduce potential fire risks with your property, large, flat, or house and site owner will also give you sound advice with caravans and lodges.

If your new to the whole holiday letting world or haven’t already completed a fire risk assessment it can be really hard to know where to start.

Will this be a legal requirement if I’m letting?

With the law, holiday property lets are duty-bound to comply with the “Regulatory Reform Fire Safety Order” of 2005. The law requires you to undertake a serious fire risk assessment, then, identify any potential fire risks, then if you find any, deal and fix them. If you fail to act, this may lead to prosecution, fines, and/or imprisonment.

Putting your fire risk/evacuation plan together – you should put an emergency fire evacuation plan together to ensure everyone leaves the property at a safe pace and safely.

They should know where the fire blanket and fire extinguisher are.
Clearly informed of what the fire risks in the property and user instructions – ie cooker, irons, general appliance.

Create a Fire risk assessment form.

Visit Britain .org is very useful and has tools for helping you with correct format and layout when creating fire risk assessment forms for your property.

VisitBritain – Fire Risk Assessment Tool
VisitEngland Fire Risk Assessment Template

Government Advice For Fire Risk Assessment – Property

The Government’s fire safety website
For Self-Catering holiday cottage owners in Scotland

Safety Regulations For Guests – Consider fire-reducing actions that you can implement to improve your fire safety measures.

Basic Checklist

Install carbon monoxide detectors
Do you have Interlinked mains smoke alarms
Install emergency lighting to highlight emergency routes and exits
Check all internal keyless lockable front doors
Internal self-closing fire doors check they are working
Do you have a fire blanket and appropriate fire extinguisher
Note all removing window lock keys
Do NOT allow candles in the property candles

4.Disability Access To Property

In line with the Disability Accessibility discrimination act 2005, all property requirements must be in place, and records to be kept and in places.

5.Holiday Property Insurance 

How will home insurance cover my holiday home?

It works like standard house insurance, basic holiday home insurance is split into two types, buildings, and contents cover If you have a second home you’re renting out you may wish to consider a policy that also includes cover for loss of rent, accidental property damage, legal expenses, employers, and public liability insurance.

Is my property suitable for holiday home insurance?

Yes if your property falls into any of the lists below.

If the property is occupied at a weekend or holiday home by other individuals
If the property is let commercially on a short term basis as holiday let or lettings
If it is situated in Great Britain, the Channel Islands and Isle of Man (this excludes Northern Ireland)
If it’s built of brick, stone or concrete and roofed with tiles, asphalt or concrete type roofing

Best Holiday Home Insurance  Providers 

You will find some very competitive companies if you see www.moneysupermarket.com

The fact is your holiday property may be unoccupied for long periods of time, be warned this then can put the yearly fee up, this is then taken into consideration by insurance companies they say the risk of theft or damage increases. In Holiday Property Insurance, policy buildings, and general contents, insurance for the home will typically cover the same risk factors as a standard home insurance policy will cover. Find out more about specialist Holiday Home Insurance Policies. Consider the company well-known as Airbnb they offer a great plan so it’s worth inquiring. Another option you may wish to consider is a specialist property insurance provider.

6. Possible To Live On A Holiday Park All-Year-Round?

Under UK law, it is NOT permitted to live in your Holiday Home, if it’s on a park all year round, IE 12 months, this is particularly true of Caravans. Looking into what your permanent address is for TAX reasons is important. You will find that Tax bills are cheaper for a secondary property.

You can obtain additional information regarding this subject with parksureinsurance.co.uk